The name says it all. Most dealerships have managers in all departments, but the newest ones that are starting to pop up in stores across America are Social Media Managers. Yes, you read that correctly – stores are now hiring people to come into their dealership on a daily basis and update their Facebook, Twitter, You Tube and numerous other accounts that keep them in the forefront of their customers’ digital dashboard.
Some quick facts on this person:
- Usually younger, mid 30’s or under
- No automotive experience needed (great if they had it but you want a technical person, not a car guy)
- Needs to be paid as an hourly or salaried employee
- Needs a “set in stone” job description, complete with daily tasks
- Must be able to take over all Facebook, Twitter, You Tube and LinkedIn accounts and manage them well
- Must be treated similar to any other manager – otherwise any initiatives they have in gathering information or “finding friends” will be a futile effort
- Needs to be allowed a minimal budget $1000 to $1500 a month to post Facebook ads or dabble with inexpensive ways to increase your online impressions
Several dealerships that we work with have recently hired and set into place a Social Media Manager. Many more are considering doing so. It is a way to bridge the gap in your dealership of having retail, sales-minded staff with those who are on the very edge of the latest trends to attract followers.
For more information on a Social Media Manager – please contact John Paul Strong.