Post from guest blogger:
Gayle Rogers, Director of Digital Marketing
Strong Automotive Merchandising
If you are running a remarketing campaign with Google, you have to make one fundamental choice about how you want to optimize your account. You have two choices: Clicks (traffic) or impressions (visibility). Both are great choices depending on your goals. So we’ve developed a short overview to help you decide which is best for you.
Focus on Clicks with CPC Bidding
• Emphasis on click through rate to generate website traffic.
Manual CPC bidding is for you if…
• You’re mainly interested in increasing website traffic, not necessarily brand awareness.
• You don’t need to reach a target budget every month. (If you do need to reach a target budget, automatic bidding may be a better choice.)
• Your campaign targets the Search Network, the Display Network, or both.
Automatic CPC bidding is for you if…
• You have an advertising budget you’d like to reach consistently.
• You don’t want to spend time monitoring and updating individual cost-per-click (CPC) bids, and you’re willing to let the AdWords system update CPC bids automatically.
• You’re mainly interested in increasing website traffic.
• You’re new to AdWords or don’t know exactly how much to bid for particular keywords or placements.
Focus on Impressions with manual CPM Bidding
• Ads are designed to increase awareness, but not necessarily generate clicks or traffic.
For you if…
• Prefer the traditional industry metrics of CPM (cost-per-thousand impressions) campaigns.
• Targeting particular placements, not just keywords. (Combined with placement targeting, bidding for impressions can help ensure your ads appear to a specific audience that will be interested in your ads.)
• Mainly interested in increasing brand awareness.
• Your message is in the ad itself, so you don’t need people to click through to your site. This may apply to events, such as a television premiere or political advertising.
Not for you if…
• Goal of campaign is a direct response from customers, like buying a product or filling out a form.
Hopefully this helps you make the right choice. Make sure and share this if it was helpful and let us know if you have any more detailed questions. As we are always testing new ideas, we will let you know the results of our test on optimizing for clicks vs. impressions.